I am an Assistant Professor in Neonatal Perinatal Medicine at University of Oklahoma in Oklahoma City.
As part of that I serve as the medical director of the NICU at Saint Anthony's Hospital.
What is mentorship ? Granting observerships, reviewing personal statements, conducting mock interviews, recommending for interviews is part of it. Really it is a resolve that one makes - I want to make it easier for another who comes along the same way. A mentor opens doors for a mentee, allows them to get from Point A to Point B faster and benefit from their own previous experience.
The photos I share are two people who played a key role at the start of my journey in the US. Of course the common people in both pictures are me and my Dad - Dr.Safarulla Khan whom I am forever thankful to for granting me the opportunity to come to the US.
One is Dr.Krishna Prasad (KP) who made a call to his friend D.Kumar in Houston. The second picture is Dr.Kumar who allowed a stranger (me) to stay in his home. This transformed my journey in the US. This has been one of the main reasons I decided to become a Mentor for IMGs.
Hope this serves as a motivation to all the mentees to take advantage of the unique opportunity all of you have and also to 'Pay it Forward' to the next generation.
If you have friends who would be interested in joining our mission please tell them about this amazing opportunity to create impact not for just one person but to change the course of their family tree.
Cancer. The word itself strikes fear, bringing to mind a disease that feels like a betrayal from within. As the world's number-two killer, its a subject of immense research, with over a million papers published in the last fifty years alone. But what if our understanding of cancer is fundamentally flawed? What if this seemingly modern disease is not a chaotic accident of our genes, but a ghost of our evolutionary past, an ancient survival mechanism gone rogue? This perspective, while perhaps surprising, is gaining traction among scientists. It suggests that cancer is not a new invention of damaged cells, but a reversion to an older, more primitive way of life. To truly grasp this idea, we must embark on a journey back in time, over a billion years, to the very dawn of multicellular life. The Great Evolutionary Leap: From Individualism to Community For a staggering two billion years, life on Earth consisted solely of single-celled organisms. Their imperative was simple and si...


Dear Azif,
ReplyDeleteIt's so very gratifying to see you "carrying it forward" showing it in your words and actions especially in the crucial role you play in the AKMG Mentorship program.
I hope that all the mentees in our AKMG Mentorship program learn from you as a role model and "carry it forward".
Thank you so very much for what you do for our AKMG. I will forward your blog to Mohan Kumar now. He's in WhatsApp but rather rarely looks at WhatsApp messages, so I will call him to alert him about the crucial blog from you.
May God the Almighty shower his unlimited blessings on you. May your kind proliferate in our world
KP