The Rosy Bee-eater is one of Africa’s most spectacular and highly specialized bee-eaters. It is the most aerial member of its family, spending hours soaring gracefully above forests and rivers with its long, pointed wings.
This frisky and energetic bird rarely sits still, constantly flying, twisting, and chasing insects in mid-air, making it one of the most challenging bee-eaters to photograph. Like other bee-eaters, it skillfully removes the venom and stinger from bees and wasps before swallowing them, and during the breeding season thousands gather on river sandbanks to dig nesting tunnels. Its beautiful rosy plumage, striking carmine-red eyes, and long tail streamers make it one of Africa’s most elegant birds. When I planned my Gabon trip, this was one of my target species.
On my first day in Loango, just as we were finishing the boat trip, I saw more than a hundred of them flying over the water, but the light was poor, so I couldn’t take any photos. Days passed without another sighting, and I thought I had missed my chance. On my last day at Akanda National Park, I almost skipped the boat trip, but my friends convinced me to go. Suddenly, I saw a large flock flying high above us, with a few perched on the tops of tall trees.
Although the light was still not perfect, I finally managed to capture a few photographs. Nature’s blessings always surprise me. I think it’s because I’m deeply addicted to nature—the songs of birds, the rhythm of flowing water, the fresh air, and every moment in the wild fills my heart with peace and happiness.
Sunny Kurian is a Sharjah-based Indian-born pediatrician and the founder president of the UAE wing of the Indian Academy of Pediatrics (IAP). He is the founder trustee of the Indian Business and Professional Council (IBPC) and the chairman of Dr. Sunny's Group which he established in Sharjah in 1990.
Cancer. The word itself strikes fear, bringing to mind a disease that feels like a betrayal from within. As the world's number-two killer, its a subject of immense research, with over a million papers published in the last fifty years alone. But what if our understanding of cancer is fundamentally flawed? What if this seemingly modern disease is not a chaotic accident of our genes, but a ghost of our evolutionary past, an ancient survival mechanism gone rogue? This perspective, while perhaps surprising, is gaining traction among scientists. It suggests that cancer is not a new invention of damaged cells, but a reversion to an older, more primitive way of life. To truly grasp this idea, we must embark on a journey back in time, over a billion years, to the very dawn of multicellular life. The Great Evolutionary Leap: From Individualism to Community For a staggering two billion years, life on Earth consisted solely of single-celled organisms. Their imperative was simple and si...


Comments
Post a Comment