I had early access to Google’s AI Co-Scientist and have been exploring its use for medical problems. This made me think about how the tool could potentially be used to address health issues that affect our local community. After considering several possibilities, I was drawn to alpha-gal syndrome because it appears to be more prevalent in our region and, to my understanding, currently has limited options for symptom control or cure.
The following parameters were provided to the system:
Prioritize oral medications over injectables.
Aim for a treatment duration of 3 to 6 months to achieve clinical tolerance.
Target a medication cost under $100 per month where feasible.
Focus on the adult population aged 18 to 65.
Accept manageable side effects with appropriate patient counseling.
Avoid common immunomodulatory treatment like steroids and antihistamines.
https://www.researchsquare.com/article/rs-10439106/latest
The results are in the above paper. These are hypothetical options with biologically plausible mechanisms of actions. Needs to be validated clinically.
When people ask what it is like to be a woman in interventional electrophysiology, I tell them the truth: for most of my career, I was the only one at the table. Not the only woman in the EP lab; nurses, techs, and coordinators have always been the backbone of every EP lab I have worked in, but the only woman standing in lead, with the catheters in her hands. That has changed. It has not changed enough. Cardiology remains one of the least gender-balanced fields in medicine, and the procedural subspecialties EP, interventional, structural are the narrowest part of that funnel. We are not short on talented women entering medical school. We lose them somewhere between the classroom and the lab. I have thought a lot about where that loss happens, and I no longer believe it is mostly about ability or even about ambition. It is about permission, the quiet, cumulative sense of whether a room expects you to be in it. The room does not hand you authority ... Early on, I learned that bei...


Comments
Post a Comment