Considering the many years of superior services to the Rochester Heart Center, working as a Senior Interventional Cardiologist, Dr. Theckedath Mathew was honoured by naming two suits including a Cardiac procedure suit at the new Rochester Heart Institute. Dr. Mathew is a pioneer Interventional Cardiologist in Rochester and also past president of AKMG. Dr. Mathew was the director of the Echocardiography lab for 15 yrs; Director of the Interventional Lab for 15 years; voted as the best teacher by residents and
fellows on multiple years. He also had made substantial donations to the heart center.
When people ask what it is like to be a woman in interventional electrophysiology, I tell them the truth: for most of my career, I was the only one at the table. Not the only woman in the EP lab; nurses, techs, and coordinators have always been the backbone of every EP lab I have worked in, but the only woman standing in lead, with the catheters in her hands. That has changed. It has not changed enough. Cardiology remains one of the least gender-balanced fields in medicine, and the procedural subspecialties EP, interventional, structural are the narrowest part of that funnel. We are not short on talented women entering medical school. We lose them somewhere between the classroom and the lab. I have thought a lot about where that loss happens, and I no longer believe it is mostly about ability or even about ambition. It is about permission, the quiet, cumulative sense of whether a room expects you to be in it. The room does not hand you authority ... Early on, I learned that bei...


Comments
Post a Comment