With the pandemic in its final phases, the AKMG Florida Chapter organized an in-person networking event on May 15th, 2022 at Tabla Indian Restaurant, Orlando. The new office bearers of the chapter Dr. Sreekanth Viswanathan and Dr. Elakkat Gireesh coordinated and led the event. The presence of five former AKMG presidents from Florida including Dr. George Thomas, Dr. MP Ravindranathan, Dr. Aravind Pillai, Dr. Sunil Kumar, and Dr. Usha Mohandas made the event especially memorable. Our current AKMG President Dr. Nigil Haroon and First Lady Dr. Nisha Nigil (Canada) also graced the occasion.
Dr. Kanekal S. Gautham, MD, DM, MS, FAAP, Chair of Pediatrics at Nemours Children’s Hospital, Orlando, FL gave the keynote talk on 'Burnout and Resilience in Physicians and Other Health Care Professionals”. The talk was relevant, educational, and informative and filled with takeaway points. Some include “Every leader (or physician) is a CEO (Chief Emotional Officer)”, Tips on reducing ‘pajama time’ (time spent on EMR outside work hours), prioritizing self-care, and maintaining optimal work-life balance. There is a lack of data on burnout among immigrant physicians and he stressed the important role of organizations such as AKMG in exploring this area and its role to help the members by creating a sense of belonging and social bonding.
When people ask what it is like to be a woman in interventional electrophysiology, I tell them the truth: for most of my career, I was the only one at the table. Not the only woman in the EP lab; nurses, techs, and coordinators have always been the backbone of every EP lab I have worked in, but the only woman standing in lead, with the catheters in her hands. That has changed. It has not changed enough. Cardiology remains one of the least gender-balanced fields in medicine, and the procedural subspecialties EP, interventional, structural are the narrowest part of that funnel. We are not short on talented women entering medical school. We lose them somewhere between the classroom and the lab. I have thought a lot about where that loss happens, and I no longer believe it is mostly about ability or even about ambition. It is about permission, the quiet, cumulative sense of whether a room expects you to be in it. The room does not hand you authority ... Early on, I learned that bei...








Comments
Post a Comment